Thursday, April 15, 2010

Musings on the power of silence.

I had to read this article for a class I am taking really felt that the author's message was important.

At first the article "Language in Silence" by Stephanie M. Wildman upset me because I was not paying attention to the title. I'm tired of being told that because I'm white that I am privileged and therefore must overcome this seemingly innate racism, but I digress.

"Apathy is just as bad as non-action." It kind of follows along the lines of "If you aren't with me you're against me." For all of these people who say "I don't care either way" or "its none of my business" instead of doing the PC thing, they are taking power, validation, etc. from someone else. I understand not wanting to get embroiled in an argument, however there are instances when having an opinion or taking action is important. That I believe, is more what the article was getting at. The author wasn't so much delivering an anecdote (specifically of a homosexual man's family portrait being ignored) as she was showing how an action--or lack of action here--means so much more than one would think. Human beings are social creatures and therefore need some kind of reinforcement or validation for their actions (even if they say they don't), especially if said actions fall outside of the sphere of what is deemed "normal behaviour." So before we pass judgment and say that someone is too easily offended, for example, perhaps looking at the issue from all sides would allow for some empathy without the feeling like we have to tread on eggshells.

No comments:

Post a Comment