Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Vinegar and baking soda

To make your own vinegar herbal hair rinse:
  1. Place 2 tablespoons of the dried herb (or herb mixture) into a muslin bag or tea ball and put in a warmed tea pot.
  2. Pour 1 pint (500 ml) of boiling water over the herbs and infuse for 2 hours.
  3. Allow the liquid to cool then pour it into a quart (1 liter) jar.
  4. Add 1 pint (500 ml) of apple cider vinegar and mix well.
Pour this over your hair (I like to pour it through it my hair over a large bowl so that I can reuse and use less) and comb through.  Use once a week or as needed.  Store bought shampoos and conditioners leave residues behind and this is a great way to make sure your hair is actually getting clean. 

Vinegar is also a great lice remedy and it is far cheaper than any of the shampoos on the market, for the moms with kids in school. 

Baking soda is also fantastic and safe to use around the house.  I like to use natural and hand-made soaps in the shower, but because the soap mixes with minerals from my tap water, I get soap scum in my tub.  Take a small dish of baking soda and a damp cloth.  Dip the cloth in the baking soda and scrub the surface of the tub.  I don't think my tub was as clean when we moved in as it was after I scrubbed it with baking soda.  Afterwards rinse it all away knowing that you are not adding harsh and most likely toxic chemicals into your water table!  I found a great article on Mothering.com about cleaning your home with green cleaners.

No comments:

Post a Comment